Maintenance Safety & Compliance Specialist
Req #: 2107
Location: Charlotte, NC
Facility: Charlotte (Charlotte Douglas International Airport)
Job Family: Safety & Security
Maintenance Safety & Compliance Specialist
Location: Charlotte, NC (or Dayton, OH)
Reports to: Maintenance Safety Program Manager
Summary/Objective: Maintenance Safety & Compliance Specialist is responsible for facilitating the advancement of the PSA Safety Management System (SMS), assist Base Managers on Root Cause Analysis, Management of Change and Risk Assessments. Promote safety and compliance in the hangar environment. The successful Maintenance Safety & Compliance Specialist will be a team player possessing excellent communication and organizational skills.
Essential Functions: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Support the PSA Safety Management System (SMS) covering all areas in the Maintenance Department.
- Assist in the promotion of the SMS in the Maintenance Department.
- Assist in the drafting of SMS Risk Assessments and Management of Change forms.
- Input and maintain all of the SMS documentation into the SMS database as required.
- Monitors the effective implementation of policies, procedures, and programs through the Safety Assurance Process.
- Ability to work with front line employees to achieve cultural change within the Maintenance Organization.
- Assist in the development and presentation of SMS training of Maintenance personnel.
- Responsible for Maintenance New Hire Safety presentations for all new Maintenance Technicians.
- Conducts comprehensive risk analysis, audits, and observations, and works with management to develop mitigation strategies to address root causes.
- Conducts Safety Investigations of significant operational mishaps and performs Safety evaluations at facilities to proactively identify and mitigate safety and health hazards.
- Assist each Maintenance Base manager with RCA investigations.
- Ensure compliance with applicable regulations by all maintenance related personnel (Technicians, Leads, Supervisors and Stores).
- Inspect work areas for compliance with all applicable regulations, including but not limited to OSHA and EPA.
- Attend airport safety/compliance meetings at the applicable maintenance base.
- Maintain positive and proactive relations with managers and employees, as well as our customers and regulatory agencies.
- Interfaces with other departments, FAA, and union representatives regarding maintenance safety issues and programs.
- Develops and distributes maintenance safety articles, alerts, and briefs to communicate critical maintenance safety information.
- Responds to the issues raised by those reports by providing appropriate briefings to company management and posting Maintenance Safety alerts, briefs, and bulletins for maintenance employees.
- Responsible to create and compile information for the Maintenance Safety Briefing.
- Act as the liaison in between Maintenance bases, CASS, RCA and the ASAP ERC.
- Interface with the Maintenance Department by participating in the Continuing Analysis and Surveillance System (CASS) meeting and the Maintenance Data Analysis Group (MDAG) meeting.
- Supports the company accident/incident and injury reduction efforts by developing proactive and educational safety programs and by sharing safety data and trends to reduce the frequency and severity of mishaps.
- Participates and works as a Go Team Member in an event of an accident.
- Responsible for the Company’s Security and Safety Management System (SMS) and associated Safety Risk Management and Safety Assurance outputs.
- In absences, the Maintenance Safety Program Manager will handle and re-assign tasks.
- Other duties and projects as assigned to support airline operations.
Competencies and Knowledge: The successful candidate should have demonstrated skills in the following: Strong interpersonal skills; strong organizational skills; proactive and collaborative approach to problem-solving; positive communication skills (verbal and written); ability to work with minimal supervision in a team environment; ability to interact with all levels of company personnel; strong team player; professional aptitude; ability to manage multiple projects at one time with time sensitive deadlines; ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive situations appropriately when performing job duties; and adaptability in an aggressive growth environment.
Supervisory Responsibility: This is a non-supervisory position.
Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, telephones, photocopiers, facsimile machines and filing cabinets.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; climb up and down stairs; lift weight up to 25 lbs.; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work: Office hours are 0800 – 1700 with occasional extended periods of time as necessary to support airline operations.
Travel: Travel is required of this position.
Required Education and Experience: Must have a high school diploma or equivalent. Bachelor’s Degree in Aviation preferred. A&P Certificate required and/or an advanced technical degree in safety, engineering, or aviation related field or a closely related discipline. Minimum of two (2) years in the airline industry with at least one (1) year safety program experience preferred. Accident investigation, root cause analysis (RCA) and/or safety program experience required. Outstanding management and organizational skills required. Excellent writing and communication skills required. Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office software required.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications: Previous Safety Experience preferred.
Security Clearance: All employees are required to pass the fingerprint-based criminal history records check (CHRC) per 49CFR1542.209.
AAP/EEO Statement: PSA Airlines is an equal opportunity employer; qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designated to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.