Maintenance Safety Program Manager (SMS)
Req #: 1696
Location: Vandalia, OH
Facility: Vandalia (Dayton International Airport)
Job Family: Safety & Security
Maintenance Safety Program Manager
Location: Vandalia, OH
Reports to: Manager of Safety
Relocation: Local candidates preferred; some relocation assistance may be available
Summary/Objective: Program Manager – Safety Management System (SMS) is responsible for facilitating the advancement of the PSA SMS, assist Base Managers on Root Cause analysis and Risk Assessments. Promote safety and compliance in the hangar environment. The successful Program Manager will be a team player possessing excellent communication and organizational skills.
Essential Functions: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Support the PSA Safety Management System (SMS) covering all areas in the Maintenance Department.
- Responsible for promotion of the SMS in the Maintenance Department.
- Facilitate the drafting and finalization of all SMS Risk Assessments and Management of change forms.
- Input and maintain all of the SMS documentation into the SMS database.
- Monitors the effective implementation of policies, procedures, and programs through the Safety Assurance Process.
- Develop and issue relevant SMS communication throughout the company.
- Ability to work with employees and achieve cultural change in the face of potential resistance.
- Assist in the development and presentation of SMS training of Maintenance personnel.
- Conducts comprehensive risk analysis, audits, and observations, and works with management to develop mitigation strategies to address root causes.
- Conducts Safety Investigations of significant operational mishaps and performs Safety evaluations at facilities to proactively identify and mitigate safety and health hazards.
- Analyzes safety event data gathered from maintenance technicians to develop and improve safety programs and initiatives.
- Maintain positive and proactive relations with managers and employees, as well as our customers and regulatory agencies.
- Responds to the issues raised by those reports by providing appropriate briefings to company management and posting Maintenance Safety alerts, briefs, and bulletins for maintenance employees.
- Interfaces with other departments, FAA, and union representatives regarding maintenance safety issues and programs.
- Develops and distributes maintenance safety articles, alerts, and briefs to communicate critical maintenance safety information.
- Represents PSA at industry meetings and exchanges industry safety information.
- Interface with the Maintenance Department by participating in the Continuing Analysis and Surveillance System (CASS) meeting.
- Supports the company accident/incident and injury-reduction efforts by developing proactive and educational safety programs and by sharing safety data and trends to reduce the frequency and severity of mishaps.
- Participates and works as a Go Team Member in an event of an accident.
- Responsible for the Company’s Security and Safety Management System (SMS) and associated Safety Risk Management and Safety Assurance outputs.
- In absences, the Manager of Safety will handle and re-assign tasks.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
Competencies and Knowledge: The successful candidate should have demonstrated skills in the following: leadership and management; coaching; influence; mentorship; approachability; time and performance management; strong organizational skills; proactive and collaborative approach to problem-solving; positive communication skills (verbal and written); ability to work with minimal supervision in a team environment; ability to interact with all levels of company personnel; strong team player; professional aptitude; ability to manage multiple projects at one time with time sensitive deadlines; ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive situations appropriately when performing job duties; and adaptability in an aggressive growth environment.
Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, telephones, photocopiers, facsimile machines and filing cabinets.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; climb up and down stairs; lift weight up to 25 lbs.; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work: Office hours are 0800 – 1700 with occasional extended periods of time as necessary to support airline operations. Some shift work is required. On-call twenty-four (24) hours a day, seven (7) days a week for extended periods as needed.
Required Education and Experience:
- Advanced technical degree in safety, engineering, or aviation related field or a closely related discipline preferred.
- Must have an A&P Certificate.
- Minimum of five (5) years in the airline industry with at least three (3) years safety program experience preferred.
- Outstanding leadership and program management skills required.
- Excellent writing and communication skills required.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office software required.
Security Clearance: All employees are required to pass the fingerprint-based criminal history records check (CHRC) per 49CFR1542.209.
AAP/EEO Statement: PSA Airlines is an equal opportunity employer; qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designated to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.